You should be familiar with this method where you pay all of the processing fees for accepting Credit & Debit cards. These fees consist of interchange/assessments, which are paid to the Credit Card processors/issuing banks and a markup by the processor to cover their overhead and their profits. We offer a low fixed markup with small transaction fee and no “hidden” fees (garbage fees).
Currently you may have a variety of miscellaneous(garbage) fees on your merchant statement making it unclear what rate you are actually paying. Be sure to add all your fees together and divide by the amount processed to determine your true rate – don’t forget to include fees not found on your monthly statement. Most business owners believe they are paying far less than they actually are.
Other considerations in selecting a card processor:
- Do I have an annual fee
- Have I been being charged a PCI compliance fee
- Does my card processor notify me of my annual PCI compliance requirements
- Does my card processor charge an early Termination fee; if so how much is it?
- If looking at a POS, is the vendor processor agnostic or will they require you to process only with them. Not having competition and limits your ability to negotiate a better rate.
- Considering a “free” credit card terminal? Check your rates and get a quote from a 2nd processor as there truly is “no free lunch”. You will likely paying handsomely for your “free” equipment.
- Do I have the option to purchase my equipment? Keep in mind a lease isn’t inherently bad, if you are effectively paying less all in for card processing and equipment combined – but be careful that you are not paying handsomely for a basic card terminal.